Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Decent People

I'm not sure what to think after the exit of Biden. We need someone to united the country. Hillary Clinton, Huckabee, Edwards, Romney, Paul, and Guiliani are incapable. We have hope in McCain and Obama

I wholeheartedly disagree with John McCain on immigration. But, I will sheepishly admit, that a year and a half ago, before I ever googled "IQ and the wealth of nations," and while I was steeped in economic theory, I wholeheartedly supported amnesty for immigrants and hated with a vengeance those who opposed it as racist and anti-American. Strange, no?

I disagree with McCain on Iraq. HOWEVER, he was one of the few who was willing to confront the reality that we needed more troops to bring stability to Iraq.

"Mark my words, we will NOT have a strong central democratic government in Iraq," the words of Joe Biden, in direct response to a support the troops speech by McCain. I disagree with McCain. However, given that when we leave Iraq, we will have genocide, I am somewhat sympathetic to his view that we should give "victory" a chance.

The debates don't often give goosebumps. However, this exchange between Romney and McCain on the issue of torture crystallizes what it means to be a decent human being.

If it's McCain vs. Obama, I think the country wins either way. If Hillary, Romney, or Huckabee wins either nomination, I think Bloomberg will start to look very attractive.

No comments: